Kyong-Hee Melody Lee, Ed.D.
Associate Professor of Mathematics
Science Center - 3263
- Monday, Wednesday, and Friday: 12:00-12:50pm
- Monday and Wednesday: 2:00-2:50pm
- Effective course design that promotes student success
- Active and Lifelong Learning
- Mathematics teacher training
- Mathematics curriculum and assessment
- History of mathematics, science, and technology
- Math 103 Mathematics for Elementary Teachers I
- Math 106 Introductory Mathematical Concepts for Teachers
- Math 111 College Algebra
- Math 202 Mathematics Concepts for Preschool through Primary Teachers
- Math 203 Mathematics for Elementary Teachers II
- Math 206 Mathematics Concepts for Elementary, Junior High, and Middle School Teachers.
- Math 215 Survey of Calculus
- Math 226 Introductory Concepts in Geometry and Measurement for Elementary, Junior High, and Middle School Teachers.
- Math 392 The Teaching of Elementary School Mathematics
- Math 492 History of Mathematics
- Kyong-Hee Melody Lee & Ekaterina N. Wassel, “How Can We Make One Step Forward in Curing a Sick Giant Elephant – The Current Elementary Mathematics Education in the United States?” National Teacher Education Journal, Vol. 5, No. 4, Nov. 2012
- Kyong-Hee Melody Lee, “Search for Meaning: A Guided Discovery Teaching Method”, Learning and Teaching Mathematics, Vol. 10, May 2011
- Kyong-Hee Melody Lee and Anne Statham, “The Impacts of a Service-Learning Experience on Preservice Mathematics Teachers”, Issues in the Undergraduate Mathematics Preparation of School Teachers: The Journal, Vol. 2 (Pedagogy), September 2010.
- Kyong-Hee Melody Lee,“Change in Preservice Teachers’ Understanding on Division With Zero”, Joint Meeting of PME 32 and PME-NA XXX, vol. No. 1, 2008.
- Michael L. Levitan, Bernard Kolman, Arnold Shapiro, and Kyong-Hee Melody Lee, “Understanding College Algebra”, Horizon Textbook Publishing, 2006.
- Kyong-Hee Melody Lee, “Using Exam Review Sessions for Teaching, Learning, and Assessment”, Assessment Update (IUPUI), Vol. 18, No. 5, September/October 2006.
- Kyong-Hee Melody Lee, “Art and Mathematics”, University of Colorado, Boulder, Colorado, 2005.
- Sherri Powers, Kyong-Hee M. Lee, and Lori Saxby. "Effects of Textbook Reading Techniques for Occupational Therapy and Mathematics College Students: A One-Group, Pretest/Posttest Design." AOTA Education Summit, Louisville KY, October 14, 2018
- Kyong-Hee Melody Lee. "Successfully Engaging Students in Active and Self Directed Learning", International Conference on College Teaching and Learning, Jacksonville, FL, April 7, 2016
- Kyong-Hee Melody Lee. "Transmitting History of Chinese Mathematics Via Innovative Teaching, Learning, and Assessment Methods", International Symposium on Ancient Chinese Books & Records of Science & Technology, New York, NY, Oct. 4, 2014
- Kyong-Hee Melody Lee. “Combating Student Resistance to Active Learning” University of Southern Indiana, Faculty Development Workshop, Evansville, IN, October 30, 2013.
- Kyong-Hee Melody Lee. "Making a Transition from a Direct Lecturing to Flipped Classrooms Teaching Method". POGIL (Process Oriented Guided Inquiry Learning) Central Regional Workshop. Washington University, St. Louis, Missouri. July 23, 2013
- Mathis, S., Lee, K., Saxby, L. "A Formula for Success: Do Active Reading Techniques = Better Understanding?", Midwest Dean’s Research Conference. Saginaw Valley State University, Saginaw, MI. March 16, 2013
- Kyong-Hee M. Lee. “Observations on What Preservice Elementary School Teachers Learned While They Were Experiencing the Process of Formative Assessment”. 2010 Assessment Institute Conference, IUPUI (Indiana University-Purdue University at Indianapolis), October 2010.
- Kyong-Hee M. Lee. “What are the Impacts of a Service-Learning Experience on Preservice Mathematics Teachers?”-Poster session. 10th International Research Conference on Service Learning and Community Engagement, IUPUI, October 2010.
- Kyong-Hee M. Lee. “Preservice Teachers Understanding on Division With Zero”. Joint Meeting of PME (Psychology of Mathematics Education) 32 and PME-NA XXX Conference, Morelia, Mexico, July 2008.
- Kyong-Hee M. Lee. “Search for Meaning in a College Algebra Course”. MAA (Mathematics Association of America) and AMS (American Mathematics Society) Joint Mathematics Meetings Conference, New Orleans, January 2007.
- Kyong-Hee M. Lee. “An Alternative Method of Teaching and Assessing Quantitative Literacy Skills and Mathematics Across the Curriculum in a Liberal Arts Mathematics Course”. 2006 Assessment Institute Conference, IUPUI, October 2006.
- Kyong-Hee M. Lee. “Using Exam Review Sessions for Teaching, Learning, and Assessment”. 2005 Assessment Institute Conference, IUPUI, October 2005.
- Kyong-Hee M. Lee. “Integrating Golden Rectangle in Teaching Quadratic Equations”. Art+Math=X, University of Colorado Conference, Boulder, Colorado, June 2005.
- Kyong-Hee M. Lee. “Group Quizzes: A Tool for Promoting A Positive Learning Environment”. 2004 Assessment Institute Conference, IUPUI, November 2004.
- Kyong-Hee M. Lee. “Lessons from Implementing Classroom Assessment in a Mathematics Classroom”. The Teaching and Learning Excellence Conference, ICCFA, November 2002.
- Kyong-Hee M. Lee. “Geometry with Tangrams”. The Way the Earth Works sponsored by the GTE Foundation, Bloomington, IL, February 1999.
- Moved to USA from South Korea in 1978
- Joined USI in 2007
- I love reading the Bible, gardening, and spending time with my dog (a long hair miniature dachshund – She is very intelligent, cute, friendly, loving, funny, extremely well trained,…, a perfect dog :)).
- “An Eye for an Eye leaves the Whole World Blind” - Gandhi
- "Every truly great accomplishment is at first impossible." - Chinese fortune cookie
- "One extends one's limits only by exceeding them." - Chinese fortune cookie
- "Success is not final, failure is not fatal: it is the courage to continue that counts" Winston Churchill
- "I know not with what weapons World War III will be fought, but World War IV will be fought with sticks and stones." Albert Einstein